Friday 4 June 2010

SOMETHING IN THE POST...

Wednesday 2nd June and I'm casually surfing (with two hands!) when the pager flashes and informs me of not one but two SPOONBILLS on Neumann's...showing well right now. I know its only a year tick but the buzz due to the adrenalin surge a pending twitch creates is brill. Ten minutes later I'm stood in Bund Hide next to the man formerly known as BT Dave who found (and put out the news top bloke) said Spooners. Two adults in breeding dress rapidly assuming that usual Spoonbill pose of fast asleep long legged white blobs...whap!

As we're laughing cos some of the chasing pack are on holiday or working abroad an unfamiliar call is heard overhead. A Turnstone (2nd of the year) flys over chased by one of the local LRPs...nice!
With plenty of Red foots in (oh for a patch one), flocks of Bee-eaters, Marmora's Warbler, a roaming Booted Eagle!!, something dodgy nesting on Shetland?? Trumpy Finch, Thrush Nightingale etc in the Country surely the listing gods will shine on us over 500 chaps and send a blocker our way. Especially as I'm in between jobs again (arse!)

MARBURY 2010 YEAR LIST - 124 (94.7% of total 131)

4 comments:

Mark Feltham said...

That is SPOOKY! I'm on exactly the same 124 out of, as best as I can tell, 131 at Moore. Reckon your patch birds are probably better quality over all than mine though... doh!

Mark
www.moorepatcher.blogspot.com

Podster said...

Mr Feltham I presume? thats a bloody good score for Moore by June me thinks.
Game on for a year list challenge what?
Marbury/Neumann's now closes its doors to anything avian and/but maybe just maybe another 10 species at most will creep through the radar I hope. (no records this year)

Mark Feltham said...

Ha Ha! Year list challenge sounds like a splendid idea :) Same this end... nothing much more to come through until autumn passage - which'll be interesting! BUT I do get a second bite of the winter cherry, so I'm hopeful of Bittern, Iceland Gull, Goldeneye, Golden Plover, Pinky and roosting Tawny Owl. Hobby and LEO is possible over the summer and another 1 or if VERY lucky 2 extra waders on their way back through / loitering over wintermay be on the cards. I'm going for... Wood Sand/Ruff and Grey Plover/Barwit/Little Stint). With any luck that'll get me the 130 again. That would recoup >half the radar dodgers so far and leave about 5 creepers?

Podster said...

Top man...