Monday 2 May 2011

BEN NEVIS OR BUST


It was with daunting excitement (or was that dread) that we set off on our ascent of the UK's highest mountain. After scaling Scafell Pike yesterday I was surprisingly feeling non the worse for my exursions and stocked up with extra energy bars confident I could bag the big bugger.


100m from the summit, I'm in a cloud wet freezing trudging through snow but the ends in sight.
Its taken me 2.5hrs an hour longer than up Scafell Pike with the same bloody outcome at the top...viewless. A quick photo session, turn round and head back asap.


Passing Mr Fit (still coming up) and the two mini huskies then Jane further down I broke the cloud layer after two hours descent my legs now aching in places I never had places. Another hour and I reached base camp by Ben Nevis Visitor Centre where Debs whisked me off for a hot bath and hot chocolate...saved!


Thats my climbing career over with (sod your Wainwrights and Monroe bagging) think I'll stick to birding and beer tasting.

ttfn

No comments: