Thursday 25 June 2009

T.I.T.S

Tamworth Idiosyncratic Train Spotters (T.I.T.S for short)

There they stood/sat seventeen mostly old 65+ blokes with their folding chairs, flasks, chuffer ID guides, binoculars, cameras and associated daft hats. Like dudes at a Sunday twitch they waited for the big one. The sudden rumble of an oncoming locomotive sends a shock wave through the ensemble. The 12.26pm goods train from Nottingham is about to pass. This must be a rarity cos it sends the T.I.T.S into a frenzy, one of the younger members legs it down to the end of the platform (no.3) camera at the ready. Loco No.62006 zaps past at 60 mph. Yes its so addictive I even log the loco's number....oh dear! next its the 62556 going northwards at 12.28pm. Two ticks in two minutes this is better than birding ....now hold on a minute chaps! aren't us so called Birdspotters (TV news collective name) just like 'Trainspotters' apparently. Well no actually (thank god). Unlike trains Birds are unpredictable free spirits that wander aimlessly around our planet (no I haven't been reading Mr Barnes) and are thus more difficult than the 12.26 from Nottingham. It would be so easy and thus boring if our avian friends were so predictable. We'd all amass huge lists but I bet some pillock (probably an IQ40 member) would attempt a string or two. Suppression though would be rather difficult unless its on one of those Welsh backwater lines or in Shropshire. Anyway I seem to be rambling on (must be the Cider) so I'll see you all at Crewe tomorrow for the 10.40am from Carlisle...platform 5 me thinks.

Staffordshire Goods Locomotive Life List 2

Birdwise

Barny showing well at Upper Moss Side late evening.

MOSS SIDE YL 112


No comments: