Monday 4 January 2010

TOURIST...ME!!

A wintry scene over the hills behind Big Wood...not! its actually the view from our really nice and rather posh B&B the Middle Ruddings Country Inn at Braithwaite near Keswick. The big jobby to the left for you Wainwrighters is Skiddaw...awesome what?
Having left the patch to the hordes early doors Saturday (sneaking in a lone Pinkfoot with the Canada flock...whap! pre breakfast) Wifey and I joined the Gregory's who are avid Wainwrighters no less for a pleasant weekend in bird free Cumbria. Shopping till we dropped, well I did anyway it was a great escape from the agony of post Christmas. That bit of the birding year when nothing ever ever happens and your Year List hits the proverbial wall for good.
Having feasted on a divine Steak and Ale Pie washed down with copious amounts of Jennings Real Ale I still had a sleepless night worrying about the Patch Fantasy Birding League and whether I should pick Long-tailed Duck or Black Redstart...stresssss!!!!
I did as you do manage to sneak a couple of padders onto the UK Yearlist (not that I'm doing one honest) namely Goosander on Windermere and a very obliging Marsh Tit on the Leighton Moss bird feeders.
I could get use to this eh.

No comments: