Sunday 29 July 2012

BUFFY WATCH

Made a couple of sorties over to the once world famous (well in the UK birding world anyway) Frodsham Marsh this weekend to hopefully get a glimpse of the Buff Breasted Sandpiper that's been showing on and off. Unfortunately every time I visited it had just done one back to the Mersey mud or wherever it was sneaking off to. I did though see the vast flock of Blackwits that recently hit the news with a potential mega grip back in the shape of a Hudsonian Godwit that thankfully for us old timers proved to be a moulting (of sorts) common Blackwit...phew!


The huge flock of Blackwits a 1000+ roosting out on No.6 tank.


flushed by a passing Peregrine



out on the lovely soup of freshly pumped in mud a pair of Ruddy Shelduck were recent arrivals from ?




They'll do for a year tick me thinks.

With no sign of Buffy here's a piccy from way back in the early days when there was no such thing as digiscoping...a shot of a Buff breasted Sandpiper that I found on the ICI Tank 3rd October 1983.


I'll just have to find another down in Cornwall this Autumn...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have enjoyed reading your post. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort on your blog. I appreciate your effort. Please check out my site.
Pods