Tuesday 5 June 2012

A DRAGON A BUTTERFLY AND A BIRD

Thanks to Liz for 60 years and giving us minions a long bank holiday weekend, which I spent up in the Lakes (what again!) at the stunning Langdale Valley.


Looking Northish from Blea Tarn towards the Langdale Pikes fresh from being climbed by Bin and Gone (more Wainwright's). On the tarn a rather brief encounter with a new dragonfly for myself ended abruptly when a female DOWNY EMERALD crash landed and I think drowned unfortunately.


On the campsite run superbly by the National Trust a family of Atlas Pied Flycatchers were almost ready to fledge. I returned the next day when the sun came out and they'd gone.


Monday was a hot and sunny affair and thus meant one thing Butterflies... I headed off in the hope of catching up with some new additions to my meagre list. Close to a well known dragonfly site near Hawkshead I came across these beauties...



SMALL PEARL-BORDERED FRITILLARIES so I've been informed. 15+ in total all I presume newly hatched or what ever they do. A rather nice addition though to the list me thinks...now for its cousin the Pearl Bordered.
Having survived four nights under canvas with no phone signal or internet it was painful to find out that a Patch Lifer was gracing Neumann's Flash. We packed and headed south rather more quickly than was anticipated and thank the lord the drake RED CRESTED POCHARD was still performing...





My 196 Patch Bird only four to go for 200, not bad for a land locked West coast local Patch.

No comments: